Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Yankees ... (sigh)

I have to say something about this. I've long said that no one can break my heart like the Yankees. Being a Yankee fan is tough. When I go to a baseball game here in Hiroshima, I of course root for the home team. It's exciting when they win and a bummer when they lose, but no one here expects them to win every game, let alone the championship. And what I mean by "expects" here is not "predicts" or "thinks," but rather "demands." Yankee fans demand victory. There is no other way. Maybe I could enjoy this terrible season a little more if I could actually watch the games, but here in Japan, I only get highlight reels and up-to-the-minute scores. And when the news is always bad, it's not fun. The Yankees have lost four in-a-row, and are 3.5 game below .500. If you don't know what that means, just know that it doesn't cheer me up when I'm feeling homesick.

No comments: