Wednesday, May 30, 2007

No more phony doctors, please.

I'm taking back the word doctor for all the real doctors in the world. When I heard Christopher Hitchens call Karl Rove, who never even graduated from college, "Dr. Rove," watch I realized something had to be done.

The is what a doctor is: a person skilled or specializing in healing arts; especially : one (as a physician, dentist, or veterinarian) who holds an advanced degree and is licensed to practice. (www.m-w.com) Admittedly, every dictionary also defines doctor as someone who holds a doctorate. But it's time for that nonsense to end. Ph.D.s, J.D.s, and Ed.D.s are whatever they are -- usually researchers, lawyers, and educators, respectively -- but they, not to mention uneducated devil-spawn like Karl Rove, are not doctors. Stop calling them that. You can call coaches "Coach" and professors "Professor" and senators "Senator," but please, don't call them "Doctor." Save that for the, ahem, doctors. If you don't, I'm going to demand you start calling me Bachelor Sibble, and my wife won't like that.

No comments: