Thursday, July 19, 2007

No more teenagers for me

No, I'm not referring to my New Year's resolution to stop preying on Japanese schoolgirls. I'm talk about my job, which also happens to involve a few hundred Japanese schoolgirls (and boys). My last class as an Assistant Language Teacher in Kitahiroshima Town ended less than an hour ago. To be honest, if it is bittersweet, it's a lot more sweet than it is bitter. I was only at this particular school for one term, so I didn't really get to know any of the students very well. Also, this school is a bit bigger than the others, so there are quite a few little assholes who make working here more difficult than it should be. Japanese kids are generally more well-behaved than their American counterparts, probably because of the conformity factor, but they're still people, and some of them are complete jerk-offs. The problem in Japan is there's a serious lack of discipline in school even when it is sorely needed. The system is just not designed to account for bad behavior, as if no one wants to acknowledge that not all Japanese kids are perfect little automatons.

Actually, I'm glad I was able to teach at a place like this, especially right at the end, and only for a short time. It will help to take the edge off my sadness when I leave Japan. As much as I'd like to stay here, and as much as I'm not looking forward to living in the Heartland, working at this school is something I will not be missing, except the free coffe and tea, of course.

No comments: