Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I heart NY

If you're not familiar with the common law, the basics: It began with the Norman conquest of England in 1066, was used in the Colonies and adopted by the original States and most thereafter, and continues to evolve to this day. Therefore, can be quite irksome to law students and legal professionals. Here's what one Henry G. Sedgwick, a New York lawyer, wrote in 1821 about the application of English common law in the New York legal system:

The life has departed, and the soul has gone; but the body is embalmed, and kept to future ages in a useless state, between preservation and decay.

Between 1827 and 1829, the New York State Legislature issued the first systematic codification of statute law in the United States. Hooray for codes! Hooray for New York! I love that quote.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Servidor, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://servidor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.